CIBC, TorontoJAN 2011 - Present
Acting Director/Senior Manager, Communications and Training
- Lead a team of communication and training professionals that delivers consistent, high-quality elearning, classroom training and key messaging to several hundred internal clients.
- Redesigned processes, realigned scope and reassessed team responsibilities to permanently operate at 75% of the historical headcount with negligible client impact.
- Designed and implemented engaging and sustainable models for quarterly departmental meetings and internal communications described as “great”, “marvelous”, “amazing” and “eye-catching”.
- Coordinated all official communications from Control Division to client groups by leveraging standardized communication models and database-driven distribution lists and reports.
- Developed self-help tools and offered individual training to empower colleagues to work independently with competence and confidence, reducing reliance on specific people and ensuring stability and flexibility to accommodate staff changes and evolving scope.
- Went above and beyond the scope of the role and team to support the Division and Bank. Examples include reviewing and improving a new bank-wide policy, planning and developing new collaboration websites for internal use, and designing forms and resources for new programs delivered by other groups. Per my Senior Director, “Ryan provides guidance across the Division that is impeccable; without exception, his colleagues... place full trust in the guidance he provides... and [he] is continually commended for his teamwork”.
CIBC, Toronto2007 - 2010
Senior Manager, Training
- Managed a large-scale elearning program with over 1,000 geographically diverse users that empowered CIBC employees to deliver a robust internal control environment.
- Designed and managed Control Division’s intranet sites and collaboration platforms.
- Continuously reinvented a variety of web-based elearning resources to deliver timely and
engaging content to new and existing clients of CIBC’s Control Framework.
- Winner of a Gold Award for Internal Learning from the Canadian Society for Training and
CIBC, Toronto2006 - 2007
- Designed electronic job aids, online help, interactive simulations, self-study exercises and other training resources to support the rollout of a bank-wide training program.
- Developed process maps to support business workflows and add context to web-based help systems.
User Experience Consultant
- Designed user interfaces for in-branch software by producing wire frame diagrams, interaction flows and design documents.
Taunton Chiropractic, Oshawa2005 - 2011
Consultant Pro Bono
- Developed the business model to launch and sustain the clinic, which now employs 11 practitioners and support staff.
- Designed and maintained the clinic’s technical infrastructure and marketing assets.
CIBC, Toronto2004 - 2005
- Developed business requirements for a branch and ABM locator, an enterprise initiative with
internet, intranet and telephone banking components.
Longview Solutions, Markham2002 - 2003
Implementation Team Lead
- Managed mid-size elearning projects while directing project teams of 2-5 developers for US clients including Charter Communications, Boeing and Johnson and Johnson.
- Created design documents, storyboards and methodology guides for internal and external audiences.
Royal Roads University2009 - 2011
Master of Arts in Learning and Technology
- Studies in technology-mediated learning
- GPA: 4.0
Project Management Institute2008
Project Management Professional (PMP)
- PMP certification awarded in April 2008
University of Toronto2002
Certificate in Internet Competitive Intelligence
Queen's University1996 - 2000
Bachelor of Commerce (Honours)
- Concentration in Management Information Systems
- People Manager training, including Managing Performance and Managing Communication workshops
Skillsoft2007 - 2011
- Completed over 30 elearning courses in topics spanning project management, training, relationship management, software, communication, people management and security
- Expert-level user of Microsoft (MS) Windows, MS Office, MS Project, MS Visio, Apple iWork, Adobe Captivate, Adobe Robohelp, Adobe Acrobat, MS Live Meeting, IBM Knowledge Producer, MS SharePoint, Longview Solutions Khalix, Techsmith Morae, Articulate Suite, Articulate Storyline
- Intermediate-level user of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe InDesign, Open Text Livelink, Techsmith Camtasia, Moodle, Joomla, Trivantis Lectora
- Certified Khalix Specialist
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (expired)